ABC 6 - Search Results
Sinkhole Swallows 8 Corvettes at Kentucky Museum
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (Ken Hines) -- Wednesday quickly became a dark day for sports car enthusiasts after eight Corvettes were swallowed by a massive sinkhole at a Kentucky museum.
The cars fell approximately 30 feet when the sinkhole opened up beneath an exhibit area at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green.
Workers discovered the 40-feet-wide hole in the facility's Skydome area while responding to a motion alarm at approximately 5:44 a.m.
The museum is closed to the public as a structural engineer checks the stability of the area around the sinkhole.
With "heavy hearts", museum officials released the following list of damaged Corvettes:
- 1962 Black Corvette
- 1984 PPG Pace Car
- 1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
- 1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
- 2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
- 2009 White 1.5 Millionth Corvette
- 1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
- 2009 ZR1 Blue Devil on loan from General Motors