ABC 6 - Search Results
Three Other Retailers May Have Been Targeted In Data Breach
COLUMBUS (Jen French)Payment card breaches may have occurred at least three other retailers, according to law enforcement officials. Each one is similar to the Target breach that has affected 70 million customers.
The names of the retailers havent been released, but could involve outlet mall stores.
Law enforcement believes those responsible are from Eastern Europe, where many big cyber crime cases have happened over the past decade.
Tips to protect your information:
1) Use a credit card instead of debit card. Credit card companies are quick to dispute charges where debit cards provide direct access to a bank account.
2) Avoid outdoor ATMS. Thieves can attach skimming devices to them.
3) Gas station pay-at-the pumps are high-risk. Thieves can attach a small camera or skimming device to them.
4) Online purchases should be made with a credit, not debit card
5) Restaurants are high risk. Anytime a card is out of sight is a chance for a thief to steal information.