Lucasville Hunger Strike Continues
Updated: Tuesday, April 23 2013, 06:41 AM EDT
COLUMBUS (AP) -- A spokeswoman says three of five Ohio inmates sentenced to death after the 1993 Lucasville riot are continuing a hunger strike aimed at gaining sit-down media access on their cases.
Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction spokeswoman JoEllen Smith said Monday another three inmates have joined the effort.
Smith said the strike begun on the 20th anniversary of the riot April 11 peaked last week with seven inmate participants.
Some additional inmates are refusing food for unrelated issues.
A renewed request Monday by The Associated Press to interview the Lucasville Five was denied. Smith cited safety, security and department media policy.
No in-person media interviews have been granted with the men since the 11-day uprising, the longest deadly prison riot in U.S. history.
Ten people, including a corrections officer, died.
Web Producer: Kellie Hanna