Firefighters Conduct Space Heater Fire Demonstration
Updated: Friday, February 15 2013, 08:04 PM EST
LEWIS CENTER -- It only takes a few seconds for a space heater to turn a room into an inferno. That's why Orange Township Firefighters and Nationwide insurance used a kerosene heater to set their own bedroom fire in a demonstration house.
It was put out in a fewminutes, but real-life space heater fires aren't always as tame. There have been as many as 19,300 space-heater related fires in the US. Between 2008 and 2011, there were nearly 400 space-heater related fires in Ohio alone. In that time frame, 20 deaths have been caused by the indoor heaters.
Orange Township Assistant Fire Cheif Matt Noble says it's not just space heaters. Old electronics, an overloaded socket, or frayed wires that pets have chewed on can cause a spark.
Ohio State Fire Marshal Larry Flowers said smoke alarms are important. Home occupants should have two ways out. Sometimes, that includes a window or chain ladder.
Assistant Cheif Noble says if the fire starts while you're in bed, roll out instead of sit up to avoid smoke. Feel doors for heat.
Nationwide insurance adjusters use the demonstration home in Lewis Center to assess fire damage. Pete Lore, Nationwide Insurance Associate Vice President for claims, said home owners should also itemize and insure what's in their home as well as covering the house.
Reporter: Jen French
Web Producer: Kellie Hanna