Fire Destroys Knox Co. Couple's Home
Updated: Thursday, April 18 2013, 08:18 PM EDT
KNOX COUNTY -- A couple managed to escape with their lives Thursday as a fast-spreading fire destroyed their home.
David and Martha Gilbreath made it out of their burning Centerburg-area home before fire fighters arrived on the scene. According to neighbor Jessica Smith, Martha claimed the fire started because of a lit candle's presence near medical oxygen.
Smith said she was mowing her lawn when she first noticed smoke coming from the Gilbreath's home. She then heard loud boom, and soon saw flames pouring from the house's windows.
Five fire departments were called to the rural area to battle the blaze. A lack of hydrants necessitated the use of tanker trucks, which were filled with water from a nearby creek.
The Gilbreaths' home and cars were destroyed in the fire, but fortunately, the family's two dogs survived the blaze. The animals being cared for by volunteers while the couple recovers from burns and smoke inhalation at OSU's Wexner Medical Center.
Reporter: Carol Luper
Web Producer: Ken Hines