Family Nearly Dies from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Updated: Tuesday, February 19 2013, 10:42 PM EST
COLUMBUS -- A family was almost killed by carbon monoxide poisoning after leaving a pick-up truck running in the garage.
This family lives on Quinlan Boulevard in Southeast Columbus.
Manuel Cendejas often runs his truck in the garage for a few minutes every week to make sure the battery is still charged. He didn't realize he was spewing toxic gases that were seeping into his bedroom above the garage.
"I forgot I never turned it off," Cendejas said. "That's what caused the problem."
His wife was the first one to complain she had a headache. Then his daughter started to pass out. He called 911 and all of them were taken to the hospital.
"They could have died," he said. "If we would have gone asleep, we would never wake up no more."
Luckily his truck ran out of gas before the carbon monoxide levels knocked all of them out.
He only has smoke detectors in his home, but now Cendejas plans to add carbon monoxide detectors as well.
"There's no smell or nothing," he said. "You don't know until you start getting really sick, but you don't know why or nothing. Those fumes get in the house. They find a way in the house."