Most Shared

text size

East Side Apartment Fire Forces Families into Cold

Updated: Wednesday, January 23 2013, 02:39 PM EST
EAST COLUMBUS -- A small fire forced two Columbus families from their east side homes early Wednesday morning.

It happened around 3:00 a.m. at an apartment complex on Barnett Road.

Those families, including a baby escaped unharmed.

The Battalion Chief told ABC 6/FOX 28 News that one family was awake trying to get their baby to sleep when they smelled smoke and called 911.

Firefighters arrived, but couldn't find the flames at first.

They later discovered fire shooting from a vent at the back of the building.

They quickly put it out, but not before flames had damaged two units.

"It was very very frightening because apparently it was an electrical fire," said Danny Davis, who helped his family escape the fire. "It had been smoldering for quiet some time and the smell kept getting louder and louder and stronger and stronger, so it was kind of scary."

Investigators believe the electrical fire started in the attic of one unit and spread.

A neighboring unit was also damaged.

Investigators said the fire does not appear suspicious and that cold temperatures did not cause any problems fighting the flames.

Both families put out by the fire were being helped by the Red Cross early Wednesday morning.
-----
REPORTER: Mike McCarthy
WEB PRODUCER: Nick Bona East Side Apartment Fire Forces Families into Cold


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

 
Advertise with us!
Sponsored content