Most Shared

text size

Dog Dies in Devastating Fire in West Columbus

Updated: Thursday, March 14 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
COLUMBUS -- A man escapes his burning home early Thursday morning, but his dog tragically died in the fire.

The fire broke out around 1:00 a.m. on March 14, 2013 in the 200 block of North Algonquin Avenue on the city's west side.

Firefighters say the man living in the home was asleep on the couch when he woke up to see flames and smoke billowing out of his kitchen. The man had to run through thick smoke to get out, and he thought his dog was following him.

Unfortunately, when the man made it outside he realized his dog didn't make it out alive.

Fire investigators believe the fire may have been caused by a faulty propane heater in the home. Officals advised to be extremely cautious when using space heaters, especially while one is sleeping.

The American Red Cross responded to the scene to assist the homeowner with temporary accommodations and clothing.

According to fire officials, the house is a complete loss.
---------

Reporter: Mike McCarthy
Web Producer: Derek DrakeDog Dies in Devastating Fire in West Columbus


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

 
Advertise with us!
Sponsored content