Cats Burned in Gahanna House Fire
Updated: Monday, February 18 2013, 11:58 PM EST
GAHANNA -- Two cats could be euthanized after a feline foster home caught fire late Monday morning.
Twenty-one cats were inside a home on the 200 block of Rocky Fork South Dr. when a spark from an electrical cord set the living room couch on fire, according to the Mifflin Twp. Fire Department.
The cats belong to Colony Cats in Dublin, but had been staying at a volunteer’s home.
Crews told ABC 6/FOX 28 the homeowner heard his smoke detector alarm, then unsuccessfully tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher.
Most of the cats escaped injury, but one animal suffered third degree burns over most of its body when the homeowner was unable to remove it from its cage.
“He was unable to get it out. He tried,” Cpt. Mike Lowe said.
That cat was one of two that were burned and rushed to the Gahanna Animal Hospital. The remaining 19 animals were sent to the Capital Area Humane Society until other housing arrangements can be made.
Colony Cats said six animals died in a fire at one of its homes in Galloway less than a week before Monday's Gahanna blaze.
The organization now plans to conduct fire training for fosters before cats can be placed in their homes.
Reporter: Lisa Rantala
Web Producer: Ken Hines