Accidental Pet Poisonings on the Rise
Updated: Thursday, February 14 2013, 08:16 PM EST
COLUMBUS -- Cases of accidental pet poisonings are on the rise and most of the culprits are medications you might take every day.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, or ASPCA, says its Animal Poison Control Center handled more than 180,000 calls about poisonous substances in 2012, up 7 percent from the previous year. Human medications and supplements are some of the most common toxins ingested by pets.
Sara Thomas, a senior at the Ohio State University studying neuroscience and psychology, knows this all too well. Her four month old puppy, Hunter, ate some of her roommate's prescription pills Wednesday. "He's just a puppy so he gobbled some of them up and she tried to get one out of the back of his throat, and succeeded, so she didn't think he swallowed one," said Thomas. "Then she texted me and said he's acting really weird. He was shaking and wouldn't leave the bed."
Thomas scooped him up and ran to the Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center. "We commonly will see them get into prescription medication that the owners have or sometimes other medications that other pets in the household might be on," said Dr. Edward Cooper. The emergency room expert said even over the counter medicines like Advil, Tylenol, Aspirin and Ibuprofen can be toxic to dogs and cats. Hunter was one of the lucky ones. He threw up the poison, and was kept overnight in the hospital for observation. Today he's as good as new. "He's getting back to himself," said Thomas. "He ripped up some toilet paper at home so that's normal." Cooper says if your pet gets into something he shouldn't, call your veterinarian or your local emergency clinic for advice. But when in doubt, just grab your pet and go.
According to the ASPCA, insecticides and rodenticides are the deadliest household items for pets.
Reporter: Terri Sullivan
Web Producer: Kellie Hanna