Most Shared

text size

Toddler Seriously Scalded on Easter

Updated: Monday, April 1 2013, 05:40 PM EDT
COLUMBUS — The grandfather of a toddler scalded on Sunday afternoon said his heart is broken after the boy was burned. 

Xavier Quezada, 15 months old, is recovering at Nationwide Children’s Hospital after medics said he was burned over 70 percent of his body. 

Juan Diaz said his daughter had filled a mop bucket with hot, soapy water so that she could clean the floors at their newly renovated home on the east side.  “She had the hot water sitting right at the landing, and when the baby came down the stairs running, he fell in the bucket,” said Diaz. 

Quezada’s parents asked the hospital not to release the toddler’s condition. 

But Diaz said he was “wrapped up like a mummy” and full of IV tubes.  “It hurt so bad seeing him.  He is real active all the time and moving around.  When I saw him in the hospital it just tore my heart up,” said Diaz. 

According to the National Burn Foundation, over 500,000 scald burns occur annually in the United States. 

Scalds are the number one cause of burn injury to children under age 4. 

When tap water reaches 140 degrees, it can cause a third degree burn in just five seconds.

Franklin County Children’s Services said they have a team assigned to investigate the Quezada case.

--------------

Reporter: LuAnn Stoia
Web Producer: Kellie HannaToddler Seriously Scalded on Easter


Advertise with us!

Related Stories

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
 
Advertise with us!
Sponsored content